Fire damage restoration hits you by surprise. It’s nothing you are ever equipped to handle. Either it comes at the worst possible time and costs you money you really don’t have or it claims treasures and keepsakes that are irreplaceable.
To keep yourself from ever having fire damage of any sort, you should learn a few things about how fires start in your home. You can significantly reduce your need for fire damage restoration whether you live in the inner city of New York or in the village of Cobble Hill.
First of all, everyone knows fires can be started by some really thoughtless accidents. That’s the first thing we want to cover because it almost feels as if it doesn’t need said. But, burning embers in a fireplace or a lit cigarette burning out in an ashtray have caused huge fires that required a good bit of insurance to restore the damage that was caused.
If you light candles, always be aware of them. People have literally forgotten where they put a lit candle and it caused a huge fire requiring significant fire damage restoration. Grease fires at the stove can make a home go up in flames. Fire damage caused by a video left on the burner was enough to shut a kitchen down for a week because of all the fire damage restoration. So, these are some of the things to keep in mind when you want to keep your home safe.
The things that people don’t often know are things like fire damage caused by wires and even the sun that take place because we are unaware of their physical nature. Let’s just take them one at a time.
Faulty wiring is a huge cause of fire damage requiring restoration. A faulty wire could be in your wall or it could be a device you have that is plugged into an outlet. Always inspect wires around your home if you can see them. Lamps, television, appliances and everything else that plugs into the wall is the perfect play toy for pets, but also strips due to wear and tear. Be aware of that and you are less likely to have fire damage needing restoration.
Wires in walls are tricky. Sometimes, fires take place because a wire isn’t hooked up correctly or you might have a visitor climbing around in your wall. The fire can smolder for hours before finally burning through the wall and causing fire damage. You can detect heat by feeling the walls, but sometimes this is hard to beat. You should always make sure you hire people to wire your home who know what they’re doing and try to keep your home completely rodent free. Ask a firefighter for better advice on keeping your home safe from faulty wiring.
The sun has caused fires and you need to be aware of this. Windows throughout your home are often safe. So, you don’t to worry too much. But, the phenomenon caused by light shining through the window has caused a concentration on a wood part and a fire ignited. It’s not common. Just be aware that it could.
To keep yourself safe, always ask a firefighter how to protect your home. They would rather do that than answer a call and leave you with a huge fire damage restoration project that you might not be able to even afford. Think safe!